Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE)
The award was created in 1956 by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT. The award is a flexible programme that helps to develop young people for life and work.
At present there are 10 schools offering the DofE award in the City and County of Swansea.
- Bishop Gore
- Bishop Vaughn
- Bryn Tawe
- Cefn Hengoed
- Dylan Thomas
If your school doesn’t offer the award you can contact Dave Phillips, the Award Development Officer with the City and County of Swansea for more information on 01792 892179 or 0775 410784.
Award levels and timings
There are three levels of programme you can do which, when successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. The main differences between them are the minimum length of time they take to complete, how challenging they are and the minimum age you can start. For a quick look at the timescales for each level click here.
Levels and timescales
There are three Award levels:
- Bronze – for those aged 14+ years
- Silver – for those aged 15+ years
- Gold – for those aged 16+ years
If you are in Year 9 but are only 13 years old, you may be able to start a Bronze DofE programme if most of your friends are already 14 – check with your DofE Leader.
Activities for each DofE section take a minimum of one hour a week over a set period of time, so they can be fitted in around academic study, hobbies and social lives. Development and regular progress must be shown and all activities must be completed by the participant’s 25th birthday.
- [Volunteering section]: 3 months
- [Physical section]: 3 months
- [Skills section]: 3 months
- [Expedition section]: 2 days/1 night
- You also have to do 3 more months in one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections.
- [Volunteering section]: 6 months
- [Physical and Skills sections]: One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months
- [Expedition section]: 3 days/2 nights
- If you didn’t do Bronze, you must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.
- [Volunteering section]: 12 months
- [Physical and Skills sections]: One section for 12 months and the other section for 6 months
- [Expedition section]: 4 days/3 nights
- [Residential section]: Undertake a shared activity in a residential setting away from home for 5 days and 4 nights.
- If you didn’t do Silver, you must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.
The expeditions at all 3 levels require you to have the correct kit. A full list can be found here.
All participants will get a DofE reward card that will give them discount at a number of local and national shops. GoOutdoors and Cotswold Outdoors have great kit for all levels and offer discount for DofE participants.
More information on the reward card can be found here
The DofE reward card also gives participants rewards and discounts at many other high street and online stores.
At each level participants will need to undertake a range of activities. More information can be found here.
The DofE site also has some great information.